A THOUSAND YEARS OF HISTORY
« THIS LITTLE MARITIME TOWN MAKES
A WHITE WINE, THE BEST IN PROVENCE»
Excerpt from the 1868 edition of the Grand Larousse Universel.
Over 2,600 years ago… The Phocaeans founded Marseille and planted the very first vine stock around Cassis bay. At the time, they introduced the Ugni blanc, which is still planted today. Later, the Romans continued growing vines and making wine in Cassis and they shipped the wine on boats, as is witnessed by the wine amphora found in the waters around Cassis. The first written records referring the vineyards in Cassis can be traced to the Middle Ages. In 1381, a notarised text described the presence of land used for vines at the place called “L’Arène” next to the sea. At the start, the vines anchored on the Mediterranean coast and later began to climb the slopes of the surrounding hills. In the 16th century Cassis began what was to become its destiny. The vineyards specialised in the production of white wines. A revolution in Provence, where red wines dominated everywhere else.